Does the Zerona Fat Removal Laser Really Work?

You may have seen my segment on the Rachael Ray Show Friday where I discussed the new Zerona laser. Does it really work to reduce inches without pain, downtime, needles, or surgery? The answer is yes.

In my experience, the majority of patients who have Zerona treatments achieve inch loss. The studies appear to show an average of 3-4 inches after 2 weeks of 40 minute treatments every-other-day. This is consistent with what I’ve seen in my office when measuring four areas: hips, waist, and each thigh. So yes, it does work when the protocol is followed. It is the only machine that I know of that can do this.

That being said, there are people who do not get 3-4 inches of loss. For this reason I’ve instituted a policy where the patient receives a $1000 credit towards the procedure of their choice if they do not achieve at least 3 inches of total loss from the four areas. Why not refund the whole fee? The company that makes the machine leases it on a “per use” basis. That means that every time I use the machine I pay them a fee which I cannot get refunded.

So overall, the Zerona appears to be a safe, effective way to reduce inches without pain or downtime. It’s not a valid substitute for liposuction, though, since the results are not nearly as dramatic as surgery. As time goes on, I expect that we’ll find ways to improve the technology and protocols to get even more impressive results. Until then, it’s not a bad deal at all!

Saturday, September 26th, 2009 at 11:12 pm | Celebrity Cosmetic Surgery, Plastic Surgery News, Zerona

9 Responses to “Does the Zerona Fat Removal Laser Really Work?”

1. Michael C. Pickart, M.D., F.A.C.S.
    Web site: pickartplasticsurgeryblog.com

September 27th, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Dear Dr. Youn,

I have heard the hype about the Zerona too. So far, the business model (with a lease rather than outright purchase) is even more exciting than the results!

I am holding off on the Zerona. Like you, I never want to take advantage of a patient. If she is going to spend $3000, then she better get a good result. I don't want anyone to feel as if she has been swindled.

Keep me posted on the Zerona. If the long-term results remain promising, I'll get one for my practice.

Sincerely,
    Michael C. Pickart, M.D., F.A.C.S.

2. Dr Hainer

October 2nd, 2009 at 6:37 pm

The real question however for me is mechanism of action. Mesotherapy has been hailed by the European community yet in this country it is met with great skepticism,and rightly so. There is little valid science as to what happens to the emulsified fat and the process of excretion. Therefore, if as a surgeon and scientist you have reservations about mesotherapy,how can you justify the Zerona? Irrespective of results,the real question is science. For me, I feel uncomfortable providing a service or technology that isn't proven. That's the only way I can sleep at night.

3. Dr. Tony Youn

October 2nd, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Actually, there are many treatments that physicians use regularly where the mechanisms of action are unknown, yet we know that they are safe and effective and therefore we recommend them to our patients. Latisse is a great example of this, as are many psychiatric medications. More important to me than the mechanism of action is the efficacy and safety. There is a huge difference between the Zerona and Mesotherapy. There have never been any complications associated with the Zerona or its related low light lasers, whereas the horrific complications of mesotherapy abound. There are studies which attest to the safety of the low light laser used in the Zerona even in our Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal. These studies are lacking with mesotherapy. Finally, unlike mesotherapy, the Zerona is made by one company to the same specifications. Mesotherapy is basically any doctor's witch's brew of whatever they want to inject into their patients.
    The Zerona is no substitute for liposuction, since its results are not nearly as impressive as what I can get with lipo, but it does appear to be a valid, minimally-invasive modality as far as I can tell.

4. Noninvasive Fat Melting – Fact or a Myth?
    Web site: celebcosmeticsurgery.com/2010/11/noninvasive-fat-melting-fact-or-a-myth

November 2nd, 2010 at 1:52 am

[...] For my post on Zerona, click here [...]

5. kelly

February 8th, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I’m actually in my 6th session as we speak and I was measure before my session and I have lost 6 inches!!!! I can really see the difference in jeans!! No more muffin top!!!!!!!!!! Yahooooooooo :)

6. denise

February 9th, 2011 at 3:46 pm

As a potential patient, if the laser doesn’t work for some patients, why should we have to pay for anything? Why wouldn’t the company that makes the laser not charge you and stand by it’s machine/claims? Where else in commerce can we charge customers for services that were not rendered or products that don’t live up to the claims? I have the same issue with Thermage treatments though the determination of successful results is a bit more subjective than with this service.

7. Zerona Orlando
    Web site: beforevertrim.com

March 3rd, 2011 at 4:03 pm

The laser really does work. I have had a lot of friends do it and came out fantastic.

8. dora

November 21st, 2011 at 6:14 pm

can you share your age, weight and height please?
    Did you do anything extra, extra exercise, etc. I have had
    6 treatments with no results, going for 6 more. What should I do different?

Congrats on your results – that’s what I want.

Thanks.

9. nik

February 8th, 2013 at 3:58 am

Can it strink tumors…. I am just wondering? Get more positive results…..