Bad Plastic Surgery in Mexico

There is a fascinating slideshow on MSNBC detailing one woman’s experience having plastic surgery at a clinic in Mexico. It’s a bit graphic, so be prepared. Unfortunately, more and more people are going to other countries to have work done, since it is often cheaper to do it outside the U.S.

One of the plastic surgeons I used to work with was once doing a rhinoplasty on a patient who had had it done previously in the Phillipines. He ended up pulling a plastic toothbrush handle out of her nose, which the Fillipino plastic surgeon apparently put in.

It’s worth it to pay a bit more for safety. Always find a Board-certified Plastic Surgeon who works only out of respected hospitals or accredited surgery facilities.

Story credit: cosmeticsurgerytruth.blogspot.com

Thursday, August 31st, 2006 at 8:36 pm | Celebrity Cosmetic Surgery, Odd Plastic Surgery Story

13 Responses to “Bad Plastic Surgery in Mexico”

1. Ladyhawke725

August 31st, 2006 at 11:13 pm

All these horror stories about surgeons in Mexico…you’d think they don’t have any decent doctors there. Well, I have had plastic surgery in Puebla, Mexico and am very pleased with the results and the doctors. Sadly, it’s only the crappy ones you hear about!

2. The_Aitch

September 1st, 2006 at 2:01 am

Oh god that women is just sad and pathetic.

September 1st, 2006 at 4:08 pm

I wonder if Tara Reid went to Mexico. Whoever did her work should be run out of the business. When I get my facelift, I’m traveling up to Michigan to see you. I like what you’re doing with the 3d. Very natural looking.

4. Wilson

September 1st, 2006 at 10:11 pm

This is horrible. Patients need to be intelligent also. Havent they learned from the recent accident in liposuction which involves a non-board-certified surgeon performing operations in his basement?

5. Dr. Rob Oliver Jr.

September 2nd, 2006 at 5:52 pm

These kind of “chop shops” are particularly frightening when you consider the use of implantable devices and some of the long anesthesia times in much less then sterile conditions.

6. Dr. Tony Youn

September 4th, 2006 at 7:56 pm

Wilson-
    Feel free to check out the post a week or two ago about the liposuction in the basement incident.

7. Judit

September 5th, 2006 at 8:37 pm

Taking one’s life into one’s hands like that just to save a few bucks is too idiotic for words.

8. Latina

September 6th, 2006 at 1:51 am

Thank you, You’ve just cared the shit out of me! I will never go under the knife- Never!

9. Latina^^

September 6th, 2006 at 1:52 am

Scared

10. I'm Confused... Maybe
    Web site: blogger.com/profile/16705116203665904567

September 6th, 2006 at 3:00 am

WTF are you guys talking about and WTF is the purpose of this article? The very last slide the old hag said that she was pleased with the results and was going back to Mexico to see this quack… So WTF is the problem???

11. Dr. Tony Youn

September 9th, 2006 at 8:00 pm

I think one of the points was that you can’t necessarily save someone from themself! There are plenty of patients in my area alone who go to disreputable “cosmetic centers” to have cheap surgery done by God knows who, against their better judgement.

12. Catalina

February 19th, 2007 at 12:45 am

hey there are butchers naming themselves “surgeons” everywhere! i personally got my rhinoseptoplasty in México and wasn’t exactly cheap!Of course it was my face and my breathing so i went to a good clinic with a certified surgeon! it just looks cheaper to the foreings cause of the value of dollar versus peso…
    By the way the rhino went great, my postop was easier that i though just some swelling, practically no bruising, and i breathe just right!

13. TP

October 20th, 2010 at 10:18 am

For those who may think this woman ended up happy, her is a detailed story of her account: